Monday, May 10, 2021

Happy Mother's Day!

I cannot describe in words how truly blessed I feel being the mother of my child. He's a living extension of me and the apple of my eye. With each passing day and year, I realize what an immense responsibility God has entrusted upon me. I feel as though I am a potter while he is supple and pliable clay that I get to mold on the wheel of time. Whatever values, culture, and beliefs I impart on him today, he will carry them into his future. He will undoubtedly learn new things as he leaves the nest, as is expected. However, he will have his basic foundation of core values from me. It makes my responsibility that much higher as I strive each day to make him a better human being. 

Yesterday was mother's day. I celebrated it with my family, mother and mother-in-law. It was the first time we were all under the same roof celebrating Mother's Day together. To honor our special time together, I baked a Cherry Almond Yogurt Cake adapted
from Ina's Lemon Yogurt Cake

Cherry Almond Cake


1-1/2 cup + 2 teaspoons flour all-purpose flour, divided
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup whole-milk greek yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons orange zest
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup neutral-tasting oil (like canola, vegetable, peanut, etc.) 
1-1/2 cup maraschino cherries or fresh pitted cherries or frozen cherries 
2 tablespoons sliced almonds 

Orange Syrup Sauce 
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice or, if you are okay with alcohol, 
[1/4 cup grand marnier (orange-flavored brandy) + 1/4 cup water]

Glaze (optional)
1 cup confectioner's sugar 
2 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice 

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a loaf pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan. 

2) Sift together dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the wet ingredients together - eggs, oil, yogurt, orange zest, almond extract. Toss cherries in 2 teaspoons flour, 

3) Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in parts and mix gently, taking care not to over mix. 

4) Add the cherries, along with the flour into the cake batter until no visible lumps remain.

5) Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-70 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 

6) Meanwhile cook 1/3 cup orange juice and 1/3 cup sugar in a small sauce pan until the sugar dissolves. [If using grand marnier, combine sugar and water in a saucepan and cook for 5 mins until the mixture becomes syrupy. Stir in grand marnier.] 

7) Cool the cake for 10 mins in the pan before inverting onto a wire rack. Poke holes with a toothpick on the cake while it is still hot. Slowly drizzle the hot orange sauce on the cake allowing it to soak. Cool completely. 

8) For the glaze combine confectioner's sugar and orange juice and pour over the cake. Top it with sliced almonds. 


No comments: