Sunday, February 10, 2019

A little whimsy...

It all began on an early Sunday morning when I dreamed of eating a decadent chocolate cake. My dream felt so real that my mouth was salivating by the time I got out of bed. My craving was so intense by the time I had my tea that I had to eat a chocolate cake for breakfast. Nothing else would do... Oh yeah, I am one of those crazy ones.

So I threw on my apron and looked around for recipes. All of the usual recipes were dessert cakes. As I did not want anything heavy (and too sweet) to start off my day, I pulled out my banana bread recipe and made a few clever substitutions. Voila! It turned out to be just what I wanted - a perfect chocolately fix to satisfy my craving. Plus, it was clean eating friendly and fewer calories than your regular good old-fashioned chocolate cake.

Eggless Chocolate-Date-Walnut Cake

Ingredients:

1 cup white wheat flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1-1/2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water [or use 1 egg]
14 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup date paste
1-1/2 tsp liquid vanilla flavored stevia
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1/4 cup Greek Yogurt (can use almond milk yogurt alternative)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp vinegar
2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil or Avocado Oil or Olive Oil
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Frosting:
2-1/2 heaped Tbsp. Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips
Splash of unsweetened almond milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
6-7 drops liquid vanilla stevia

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease, flour and prepare an 8-inch round cake pan.

2) In a bowl mix flax meal and water. Allow it to sit for 2 mins. In the meanwhile blend almond milk date paste and greek yogurt together to form a smoothie like texture.

3) Whisk oil, flax meal paste and date smoothie in a bowl. Stir in vanilla essence and liquid stevia.

4) Sift and incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, taking care not to over mix the mixture.

5) Add vinegar and chopped walnuts. Carefully fold it into the batter.

6) Bake for 45 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

7) Completely cool the cake before frosting. To prepare frosting, melt chocolate chips with a splash of milk over a double boiler on the stove or microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla essence and vanilla flavored stevia to form to smooth mixture.

8) Spread out the chocolate frosting over the top of the cake.

Enjoy!






No comments: